Saturday, 15 July 2017


Vintage Saturday


It's Vintage Saturday in case you were wondering. There are all sorts of interesting things out in blogville if you care to look. Vintage Saturday is one of them. This theme recurs each week and many a blogger will paint a pretty picture of something old and treasured in their life. I find the stories behind the vintage items so compelling and hope you find my vintage tale as interesting.

I had been wanting to do a post about something in my daily life that I simply became blind to until last week and thought Vintage Saturday is just the day to do it. It was a bit of a eureka moment and the phrase “What was I thinking to overlook this????” has been uppermost in my thoughts for the past week. It's just been the unassuming box passed down through the  generations that holds our documents, a deed box if you will, and has been for over a century.  My husband doesn't know when it came into his grandfather's care and it may well be older than we believe which makes it an even more fascinating mystery; a family heirloom which has taken on a different existance. Today I thought I would expose its true identity.

This box rests atop a chest in our sitting room. A crocheted doily graces its top and there is a little vase perched there. All very homey. I walk past it every day, and have done since I married. I've seen it opened, indeed I have opened it, but did I notice it? Not once. It was literally just a part of the furniture. I'm sure I must have known what it was in the back of my mind but it simply didn't register.  Then last week, I was walking by, stopped, walked back and turned the little key, then stood wide-eyed gazing at it. How could I not have reckoned this? Me, letter writer extraordinaire and devoted Janeite? Some mysteries will never be solved.




So, today, let me show you our cherished document box. Closed it is just an unassuming little mahogany chest and yet opened it is the stuff of daydreams. Our little document box is in reality a writing slope. There is a pen tray and two compartments for ink as well as storage space under the velvet writing area. It is very much like Jane Austen's writing slope, if I may be so bold. Not quite as old or refined, but still a beautiful writing slope nonetheless. You can still see the design which has been impressed into the velvet writing area.  Evidence that it once was indeed used as a writing slope exists in the pen tray where there are little fingernail marks from someone reaching for their pen. Oh to have the power to see what letters were written on this little desk but I will  just have to rely upon my overactive imagination to supply those details.  Of course, now that its secret is out I so desperately want to use it for its true purpose, but after a century or more of being a document chest, I think it will stay in that office. Now when I walk by I smile, because I know its secret, and it is all the more dear.

You can see the similarities between Jane Austen's  writing slope and our own.
Jane Austens' Writing Slope courtesy of The British Library Board.



2 comments:

  1. Aha! I finally figured it out. :) I've seen similar reproductions but the tops were the slopes. Very nice.

    I cannot help but wonder if the small writing space made for cramped hands and wrists. Have you tried writing on yours?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wondered the same thing. I don't know if I could have been such a prolific letter writer on such a small "desk" though I don't think that would have stopped me!
    I haven't tried it out, I'm still a little in awe of it. I'd like to, some day. The design around the edge of the velvet is so delicate, I worry I would flatten it. One day I'll get my nerve up and have a go.

    ReplyDelete