Saturday, 24 June 2017

Happy Anniversary LWA!


Today is the 10th Anniversary Party of the Letter Writers Alliance, or LWA as most of us refer to it.  Sadly, I cannot be there but I'll be there in spirit. For those of you who don't know what the LWA is, hurry over here and have a look. Kathy and Donovan created the LWA to reinforce the importance of putting pen to paper. Their mission statement says it all:  

In this era of instantaneous communication, a handwritten letter is a rare and wondrous item. The Letter Writers Alliance is dedicated to preserving this art form; neither long lines, nor late deliveries, nor increasing postal rates will keep us from our mission.

Over the past ten years they have given support to all those whose love of writing letters is not just a hobby but a passion. They highlight those who embrace the cause whether they are making stationery, creating artistamps, sending out mail art, featuring new stamps offered by the post office and so many more things. The LWA is an international organization and its membership has surpassed the 11,000 mark and is still growing. Their voice has reached all parts of the world and welcomes everyone who shares their values.

To celebrate the 10th anniversary of The Letter Writers Alliance, I couldn't think of anything more appropriate to mark the day than an open letter to two much loved letter proponents.

Dear Kathy and Donovan,

Happy Anniversary to you both and to all the members of the LWA. Thanks to the two of you, champions of letter writers everywhere, letter writing has risen out of the dust like the phoenix and soared to new heights. Your vision to bring letter writers together through socials, on line events, pen pal matches and all the thought provoking posts on your web site has been an incredible gift.

I joined LWA six years ago. Before that I belonged to two pen pal newsletters and even wrote for one of them. That seemed to be winding down and I felt devastated that letter writing which had been a constant all my life was fading away due to the rise of the internet. There didn't seem to be so many like-minded people around and one by one the remaining ones were turning to email. Little did I know that the internet was more of a saviour of letter writing than a deterrent. One day while doing a search I found 16 Sparrows quite by accident. The elation at finding there were still others out there who felt as I did about letter writing was a revelation. I immediately became a member and my journey into the new, media rich world of pen palling began. Since joining I've met so many wonderful people who share my love of letter writing, I've learned new things and I was even inspired to start a blog to share my adventures in the world of correspondence.

Thank you to you both for rescuing all of us whose love of writing letters was left without an outlet to share our passion. You have made an impact on so many.

                                                                                    With all my best wishes and gratitude,

                                                                                                           Anna M
                                                                                                      Member #1631

2 comments:

  1. Anna, you've written such a moving tribute to the founders of LWA. I don't always know what to say when I am deeply moved, this is one of those moments. Well said. Enough said, except for thank you. Thank you.

    I chose to show my appreciation by purchasing some of their postcards and seals, and sending them out into the world of letter writers. I hope good intentions count too. Happy letter writing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The image I used was the postcard you sent me, it arrived on the very day I made this post. I hurried on over to the LWA site and bought a few other things. :)
      I remember the day I found the LWA, I was doing research for something I was writing and saw their site and I don't think I ever even finished the article I was researching I was so enamoured with their concept of letter writing. It was thanks to the LWA that I found your blog. I have much to thank them for.

      Delete